[gst-devel] GstTuner

Lutz Müller lutz at topfrose.de
Mon Mar 20 23:52:02 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 12:02 +0000, Tim Müller wrote:
> I don't really see the similarity between a CD source and tardemux apart
> from the fact that you want to select something from a number of
> streams.

But there's no abstraction for selecting "something from a number of
streams" in GStreamer. That's my point.

> Not that I've got anything against registering a "track" format
> with the core (same as a "title" or "chapter" format), but I still don't
> really see why tardemux contains "tracks".

Me neither. I just used "tracks" because they were already there. You
may subsitute GST_FORMAT_TRACKS by GST_FORMAT_STREAMS. I like that
better, anyway.

Please note that it is a tardec, not a tardemux. If it were a tardemux,
I'd just create as many pads as there are streams. But the streams can
only be accessed one by one, like on a CD or in the tuner element.

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 10:41 +0100, Andy Wingo wrote:
> 4) You made no comment on the suggestion to make an interface.

Because the interface is already there:

q = gst_query_new_duration (GST_FORMAT_STREAMS);
gst_element_query (e, q);
gst_query_parse_duration (q, NULL, &d);
g_message ("Number of available streams: %i", (int) d);

q = gst_query_new_position (GST_FORMAT_STREAMS);
gst_element_query (e, q);
gst_query_parse_position (q, NULL, &d);
g_message ("Current stream: %i", (int) d);

g_message ("Skipping to next stream...");
gst_element_seek (e, 1., GST_FORMAT_STREAMS, GST_SEEK_FLAG_NONE,
      GST_SEEK_TYPE_SET, d + 1, GST_SEEK_TYPE_NONE, 0));

> 2) GST_TAG_TRACK_NUMBER can be fine, but how will you specify the name
> of the file in the tarball? There is no tag that would be appropriate.

A new custom tag?

Regards
--
Lutz Müller <lutz at topfrose.de>