[gst-devel] Change speexenc quality or bitrate on fly

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Tue Mar 21 01:50:01 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 17:01 +0100, Vittorio Palmisano wrote:
> 2006/3/20, Michael Smith <msmith at fluendo.com>:
> > On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:24 +0100, Vittorio Palmisano wrote:
> > This looks like it's not thread safe (assuming libspeex itself isn't -
> > which I'm fairly certain is a correct assumption) - you probably
> > shouldn't make it possible to change the speex settings in the middle of
> > encoding a buffer to speex.
>
> I'm using this option to change bitrate with ABR encoding and it works.
> From: http://www.speex.org/comparison.html#multiRate

Yes, that's fine. That it works for you, however, doesn't change the
fact that the code isn't thread-safe, and will randomly fail. I'm not
trying to say you can't change the settings dynamically, just that you
almost certainly can't do so WHILE encoding a buffer to speex. So you'll
need some locking.

If you could add appropriate locking, and then file your amended patch
in bugzilla, that'd be appreciated - that will make sure that your patch
doesn't get lost.

Thanks,

Mike