[gst-devel] How to configure the default GStreamer

Ren, Eric eric.ren at intel.com
Fri Mar 24 01:22:40 CET 2006

Tim,

Thanks for your answer.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Müller [mailto:t.i.m at zen.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 5:18 PM
To: Ren, Eric
Cc: gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [gst-devel] How to configure the default GStreamer

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 16:59 +0800, Ren, Eric wrote:

Hi,

> I have installed GStreamer 0.10 on Fedora 4. But Fedora 4 has already
> installed GStreamer 0.8. So when I try to use GStreamer, it always use
> version 0.8 not 0.10.
>
> Could anyone tell me how to configure the system to let the default
> GStreamer is 0.10?

0.8 and 0.10 are installable in parallel, but not compatible.
Applications need to decide which one to use at compile time, and you
usually can't change that afterwards without re-compiling or upgrading
that application.

If you want your applications to use GStreamer 0.10, the easiest way is
probably to upgrade/switch to a distro where applications do that by
default (e.g. FC5 or Ubuntu Dapper).

Cheers
 -Tim