[gst-devel] High definition support&support for seek operation

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Fri Nov 10 12:57:24 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 17:14 +0530, Kirrthana M wrote:
> Hi,
>    I tried playing High definition video files(1280-720) using
> Gstreamer's playbin plugin but it doesn't play.I want to know
>  wheather Gstreamer playbin based application will support High
> definition video files.
>
>  I have written a small program using playbin plugin to play video
> files,but the seek function call doesn't work.I have attached the
> program that i have written.Can you suggest a way to perform seek
> operation.

GStreamer is certainly capable of playing HD files.

However, this requires:
 1. A decoder for whatever format you're using.
 2. A video sink that can support this size video (xvimagesink, for
instance, only supports sizes up to whatever size the X server supports
- often too low for HD)
 3. A fast enough CPU.

As for why your application doesn't work, I don't know. Your busy-loop
after setting the pipeline to playing doesn't look like a very sensible
thing to do, though.

Mike