[gst-devel] Possible bug in v4l2src, please have a look

Fredrik Persson frepe at bredband.net
Wed Nov 15 01:07:08 CET 2006

I have attached two files, please download them into the same directory, have some kind of v4l2 device connected to the machine (I use a Pinnacle TV USB 2.0, test it with gst-launch v4l2src ! xvimagesink first) and then run "python v4l2srctest.py". In the small gui, click the "Change" button which will produce this error message:

(v4l2srctest.py:7012): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: Failed to deactivate pad v4l2src0:src, very bad

And also this:

0:00:06.003590000  7012 0x81b6d30 ERROR              basesrc gstbasesrc.c:1938:gst_base_src_activate_push:<v4l2src1> Failed to start in push mode

The second error message, I think, comes from the fact that the first v4l2src element never releases /dev/video0 so the second v4l2src element cannot open it.

What I expected to see with this small python program was to have v4l2src0 completely disposed and have it close its filedescriptor on /dev/video0. Why doesn't it?

This is all tested on CVS versions of core and -good as of today, btw.

TIA

/Fredrik Persson