[gst-devel] multicasting audio with gstreamer?

Alex Mac lots.of.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:33:07 CET 2006

Well, actually I want to do audio and video, but lets ignore the video for now.

I have an mp3 file on my server and I run the following command to try
and multicast stream it over the network:

gst-launch filesrc location=foo.mp3 ! ffdemux_mp3 ! udpsink

this seems to run ok however when I then try and listen to it on a
client pc using the following command nothing happens:

gst-launch udpsrc ! ffdec_mp3 ! alsasink

The client gives the following output:

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
ERROR: from element /pipeline0/ffdec_mp30: Internal GStreamer error:
negotiation problem.  Please file a bug at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer.
Additional debug info:
gstffmpegdec.c(1276): gst_ffmpegdec_chain (): /pipeline0/ffdec_mp30:
ffdec_mp3: input format was not set before data start
Execution ended after 10685000 ns.
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...

FYI, I'm running both of these commands on localhost for now, and
gstreamer will quite happily play the file when i try it without the
udpsrc/sink.

The crucial thing here is that I want to stream audio (and later
video) files without re-encoding them or anything like that. Demuxing
and then remuxing is fine but not re-encoding.

Thanks,
Alex