[gst-devel] JACK and GStreamer, from the horse's mouth

Christian F.K. Schaller christian at fluendo.com
Fri Nov 24 15:08:36 CET 2006

Well that is one way of approaching it, but from the discussions and
conversations I had with the major distro's most of them are currently
going for a solution around Pulse Audio instead. I know that apart from
Pulse Audio author Lennart Pottering also Monty Montgomery, who Red Hat
hired to sort out the linux audio jumble, aims for this solution being
viable for both normal and pro-audio uses. This was also the strategy
chosen by Ubuntu at the recent UDS summit in Mountainview. Not sure what
Novell currently plans, but I wouldn't suprise me if they end up going
the same route.

And so its said, I personally don't give a shit which solution is
chosen, all I need is a system that mixes my sound before passing it to
the shitty laptop soundcard which can only deal with one connection.
Currently it is dmix giving me that, and it looks like it will be Pulse
Audio in the next version of Fedora, but as long as it works I don't
really care.

Christian

--
Business Development Manager