[gst-devel] JACK and GStreamer, from the horse's mouth

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Mon Nov 27 12:14:49 CET 2006

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 19:54 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> I don't understand
> why its been so hard to get a JACK sink to stick around. Would anyone
> care to enlighten me?

I fought in the 0.10 redesign for a system that would allow a jack sink
to work as you would want one to, driving the pipeline from the thread
calling process(). We have that, pretty much. But no "proper" sink or
source.

This is mostly because with the APIs and applications that you use, you
are used to PCM data. GStreamer folks deal more in muxed, compressed
formats, which are more difficult to handle in a pull model. But I think
whenever somebody gets off their ass, we will have two kinds of jack
integration: jack elements that drive the pipeline from the jack thread,
and jack elements that are separated from the main pipeline via a ring
buffer. The former allows low-latency audio work, the latter allows
integration with all of the formats that only support push mode.

Regards,

Andy.
--
http://wingolog.org/