[gst-devel] Linux audio is a mess?

Kai Vehmanen kvehmanen at eca.cx
Thu Nov 30 12:38:39 CET 2006

Hello,

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> I will be at the DAM-3 meetings next week (30min drive across town <g>), and
> I know Paul Davis will be, but I don't know who else.  However, given your
> comments we should perhaps start out the multimedia side of things by
> addressing this exact issue.  As this discussion reveals, we have ourselves
> a big hairy mess with a lot of competing projects and agendas and egos
> (myself included), and I can only imagine what that big hairy mess could
> look like all in the same room.

btw, for a quick trip down the memory lane, do check the mails from
2001 archived at (see the end of page):

   http://eca.cx/laaga/

Now you can ignore the LAAGA stuff (these were early discussions that
eventually led to JACK), but the archived mails are an interesting
reading. Notably there are comments from many of the same persons (Erik,
Paul D., Stefan W., ALSA devs) -- but from five (!) years ago. This is
both encouraging (we are all still here, and haven't given up hope ;)),
and discouraging (odds of any one event like DAM-3 resolving all the
issues is pretty much zero, so better to focus the available time on
specific items).

PS Sorry again for the spam.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv