[gst-devel] Linux audio is a mess? [was: JACK and GStreamer, from the horse's mouth]

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Thu Nov 30 22:02:57 CET 2006

Paul Davis wrote:
> my main generic comment on your post - its a response i had to several
> sections of it - is that although i suspect you actually don't make this
> confusion when pushed, you frequently miss out on the fact that
> gstreamer is an entirely intra-application framework that has nothing to
> say about inter-application data routing. comments about scheduling, for
> example, are close to meaningless from a gstreamer perspective: the
> scheduling that messes things up exists outside of gstreamer's control
> (in the kernel).

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was ever confused about
that in the slightest.  In fact, I am quite vocal (ask anyone who was at
GUADEC-3 etc) about GStreamer *NOT* being the solution for the sound server
mess.  It is simply not designed for it.  As you say, GStreamer is designed
(from the beginning) as a intra-application framework only.

What specifically did I say that gave any impression otherwise?  Perhaps I
need to rephrase what I originally wrote to be more clear.