[gst-devel] I still don't get it : multiple sources side by side

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun Oct 1 17:28:48 CEST 2006

Hi,

Here's a more precise description compared to my message from the other
day which remained basically unanswered.

I'd like to obtain a single 992x480 Ogg/Theora video file with the
following visual aspect (scaling below is incorrect, but boxes'
dimensions are)

    +-------------------+-------------------------------------------+
    |                   |                                           |
    |                   |                                           |
    |      Box 1        |                                           |
    |                   |                                           |
    |      352x288      |                                           |
    |                   |                                           |
    |                   |                   Box 3                   |
    +-------------------+                                           |
    |                   |                 640x480                   |
    |                   |                                           |
    |      Box 2        |                                           |
    |                   |                                           |
    |      192x288      |                                           |
    |                   |                                           |
    +-------------------+-------------------------------------------+

As input I've got :

        - 1 DV Camera or DV Recorder (Audio and Video)

        - 1 V4L Device (Video only)

        - 1 PNG or JPEG image (possibly remote with gnomevfssrc)

The audio in the output will come from the DV and will be copied
unmodified to the output.

Box 1 contains the scaled down video from the 720x576 DV input.

Box 2 contains the JPEG image (or PNG), which will have to be reloaded
automatically for example every 60 seconds.

Box 3 contains the video from the V4L device (webcam), scaled to 640x480.

I've printed and read gstreamer's documentation and used gst-inspect
a bit, but I can't make something out of this.

If I understand correctly I need the following :

        Box 1 + Audio :

                - dv1394src
                - dvdemux
                - dvdec
                - queue
                - audioconvert
                - videoscale

        Box 2 :

                - gnomevfssrc
                - jpegdec or pngdec
                - maybe decodebin, if I allow both png and jpeg

        Box 3 :

                - v4lsrc
                - queue

Final output :

                - videobox
                - theoraenc
                - vorbisenc
                - oggmux
                - filesink

I think I can see how to combine some of these elements to obtain
parts of the final result I want, but I really can't understand how
to combine all this stuff together.

I've read many examples but none of them so far seems to be as complex
as what I want to do.

Any help is very welcome.

Thanks so much in advance.

bye