[gst-devel] Filtering with catch-all mime type video/*?

Zaheer Merali zaheermerali at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 07:27:22 CEST 2006

On 10/5/06, cascardo at holoscopio.com <cascardo at holoscopio.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:24:41AM -0700, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While I do agree with you that Ogg is a container format... AFAICT using
> > "video/ogg" when you know that it contain video would be correct.  And
> > (based on complaints I've seen) some would highly enourage it.
> >
> > I've seen some people suggesting that there should be MIME types like
> > "video/rss+xml" and "video/atom+xml" for video blogging (vlogging,
> > vidcasting, or whatever you want to call it).  And hints that there should
> > be "audio/rss+xml" and "audio/atom+xml" for audio blogging (podcasting,
> > IPradio, or whatever you want to call it).
> >
> > Refer to this IETF post...
> >
> > http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06669.html
> >
> > ... which is (in part) a comment to the following proposal I made...
> >
> > http://maketelevision.com/log/rss_and_atom_feed_auto-discovery_for_internet_tv
> >

> > See ya
> >

> Yes, and some other container formats supported by GStreamer are (using
> standard MIME types) referred as audio/sth and video/sth. And I sure
> agree that using standard MIME types is right.
>
> However, being able to distinguish between a container, a codified audio
> or video and a raw audio or video should be possible. Right now, this is
> not possible and I still don't know which advantages would "video/ogg"
> have over "application/ogg" as the MIME type for a container, since you
> can't get the difference between "video/mpeg" as a container and
> "video/mpeg" as a codified video, other than by an accompanying
> "systemstream" property that not every container format have.

Easy, use a method like Discoverer which is in gst-python (also
includes a test program to use it called gstfile)
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-python/gst/extend/discoverer.py

The capabilities in GStreamer in no way corresponds to the MIME type
of the file.  It is used internally to identify the buffers passing
between pads in GStreamer.  To find out information of whether there
is video in a certain stream etc., use Discoverer as noted above.

> ---
>
> Regards,
> Thadeu Cascardo.

Regards