[gst-devel] GStreamer - Large Stream Count? Networks?

Adam Weiss adam at signal11.com
Mon Oct 9 01:40:26 CEST 2006

Hey Folks,

I've been tasked with building a system for acquisition and processing of
large numbers of analog streams.  It occured to me last night that I may
be able to use gstreamer in this application.  I've been through the
documentation, but I still have a few questions, specifically:

1) The application I'm building will need to be able to process >480
streams.  Has anyone used the gstreamer libraries on a scale like this?
If not, can anyone comment on how feasible it would be to build a working
system with gstreamer that handles >460 streams in it's current state?

2) Some of the processing will be CPU intensive, my plan is to have
filter graphs that span multiple machines to deal with that.  Does
gstreamer offer facilities for shipping stream data over networks to
elements that live on other machines?

I had originally planned on architecting and building all the data
handling and plumbing by hand.  If I could use gstreamer instead and avoid
re-inventing the wheel, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

--adam