[gst-devel] A/V sync drift ripping dvd to theora/vorbis

Jason Gerard DeRose jderose at jasonderose.org
Wed Oct 11 05:47:18 CEST 2006

Hello,

I've been experimenting with a dvd ripping pipeline, but am having
audio/video synchronization problems.  In the resulting .ogg, the audio
and video are perfectly synchronized at the start of the stream, but
slowing drift out of sync the farther into the stream I get.

Here is the pipeline:

gst-launch-0.10 dvdreadsrc ! queue ! dvddemux name=demux oggmux name=mux
! queue ! filesink location=test.ogg  demux.current_audio ! queue !
a52dec ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! audiorate ! vorbisenc ! queue !
mux. demux.current_video ! queue ! mpeg2dec ! ffdeinterlace ! videorate
! theoraenc ! queue ! mux.

Is this pipeline constructed correctly?  I've noticed that Thoggen
doesn't use the audiorate element, so I also tried the pipeline without
it, but the result was the same.

I don't see any bug reports that seem culprit, but what about this
message on the console:

** Message: FIXME: gst_mpeg_demux_sync_stream_to_time

Is that the problem?

I'm running this under Ubuntu Dapper (gstreamer 0.10.6, gst-plugins-base
0.10.7, gst-plugins-good 0.10.3, gst-plugins-ugly 0.10.3, gst-ffmpeg 0.10.1)

Also, I finally got around to porting FUPlayer to gstreamer 0.10, which
only took an evening of work, thanks to gstreamer's high quality.  So I
must take a moment thank all of those who have worked to make gstreamer
what it is.  GStreamer never fails to impress me!

Thanks,
Jason