[gst-devel] how to limit the duration of a pipeline in gst-launch and pyhton bindings?

Pau Aliagas linuxnow at newtral.org
Thu Sep 7 08:38:29 CEST 2006

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I've searched the mailing list
but I've found nothing.

I saw the excellent article from Jono Bacon (and the one in Portuguese from the
comments), and I wanted to do something a little different, but I don't know
whay, I cannot find any examples :(

What I want to do is an app that, given a video file in any format, can return
a given length in the same format (same container, same codecs).

My first idea was to limit the formats, for a quick test, to 3gpp and mp4, and
see if I could manage those, but it would be much better if the format could be
autodetected on the fly; the output would always be limited by a start and a
stop positions.

Before trying the python app, I tried to build the pipeline with gst-launch,
but I do not know how to do it.

I even had a look a GNonLin -easy to install as is in Fedora Extras-, as it
looked like it could do the job, but it is still more misterious to me than the
other filters. I'm totally lost.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Thanks
Pau