[gst-devel] GStreamer / C++ example ?

fabien fabien.castan at free.fr
Mon Apr 30 12:20:27 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have already looked at those examples, as well as others. They
certainly contain the code I am looking for but it is difficult to
extract the few lines that actually open a video file. I have been
trying for three weeks now and still haven't succeeded.
I manage to read a "videotest" inside a Qt interface, to convert the
data into 24bits RGB and work with it in realtime. Otherwise I also
manage to read an audio file, because there are examples in the
documentation. However I can't manage to read a video file.
I've looked all over the Internet and asked in many forums, but I
couldn't find a simple example, only people looking for one. It must
take a few minutes for someone who knows GStreamer, while for the others
it is impossible to do. Is Gstreamer reserved for experts?

What I need is just a bit more complicated than a player: I need to open
a video file, to access its buffer (in 24bits RGB format), one image
frame at a time. Then I need to do the inverse operation - write in a
buffer and save it into a video file.
It sums up to reading and writing video files but not in real time.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit tense, but I find it a pity that video is so
poorly developped on Linux. I thought that using Gstreamer was supposed
to make it easier for me to work with video files, it wasn't supposed to
be the hardest part of the program.

Thank you for your comprehension and your help.