[gst-devel] Announcing GEntrans 0.10.0

Mark Nauwelaerts manauw at skynet.be
Wed Aug 15 21:17:44 CEST 2007

First of all; thanks for the feedback.

Next:

* about GST_FLOW_VIDEO_TRANSFORM_DROP and the video transform element:
it is exactly like GST_BASE_TRANSFORM_FLOW_DROPPED.  I was just in need of
dropping functionality before BaseTransform (and e.g. identity) had this (or
custom flow returns were introduced, I think).  So, this "wrap-around" kept
things going.  By the time GST_BASE_TRANSFORM_FLOW_DROPPED was introduced (not
that many GStreamer releases ago, IIRC), a GEntrans release was practically
ready, so the former solution was kept for now.  This custom workaround (and
video transform element) will be replaced by the "offical" new way of dropping
in next release.

* pushing some filters in gst-plugins-bad:
So far, I was not planning on it (in the sense of it being a next step).
In principle, I would not mind (though I do hope the question is not indicative
of any problem trying to install the gst-entrans plugins ;-) )
Some practical concerns that come to mind, however:
- only some (which?) might introduce a separation (and confusion and/or
technical difficulties)
- gst-plugins-bad CVS shows traces of filters having suffered an unfortunate
unmaintained/unported fate
- the above is not helped by the fact that I cannot CVS commit in there (for
now?), so rather than me taking care of them, this would then add more to the
review (maintenance?) burden etc of GStreamer developers (where GEntrans is
currently already somewhat hungry for:
#435633: causes problem when cutting, #450190: no v4l2src recording,
#415754: subtitle stuff mentioned earlier, should also benefit PiTiVi, Thoggen;
could not resist mentioning/advertising these ... :-) )

Regards,
Mark.