[gst-devel] Little avi editor

InSa REMOVEinsa_hc at yahoo.it
Tue Dec 11 15:07:50 CET 2007

Hello,

first of all thank you for the great job you're doing.

I'm trying to develop a little application to work with avi files in
python+pygst+glade which should do this things:

- mux-demux avi files
- recognize avi's video type (for example xvid vs. divx)
- change video framerate (for example from 23 fps to 25 fps)
- remove "packed bitstream" from xvid video

First point is fine: I've understood how to mux or demux an avi
file, documentation is just there.

For the second one I'm pretty sure I've not checked enought
documentation, in fact at the moment I don't understand how to do that
but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

For the last two points I'm in trouble.
To change video framerate that's my code (using gst-launch):

"gst-launch-0.10 -v filesrc location=23_fps.avi ! avidemux !
xviddec ! videorate ! video/x-raw-yuv,framerate=25/1 ! xvidenc !
avimux ! filesink location=25_fps.avi"

It changes framerate, but I have to decode and to re-encode the video
to do that, and that's not what I want. Is there a simpler and
faster way?

Finally I don't understand if I can recognize that a video has "packed
bitstream" and then remove it. Can I use gstreamer to do that?

Is GStreamer the right tool to use in order to do what I ask? ;)

Thank you and bye
InSa