[gst-devel] AVI metadata help - where's the date?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Dec 13 22:26:45 CET 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to modify gthumb to allow it to read video metadata using
gstreamer. It works, but I seem to be missing something - exiftool can
extract more metadata than gstreamer - like the original recording date.
Is that to be expected?

For instance, an AVI from my Canon PowerShot SD800IS gives the following
in exiftool:

[mjc at flay trunk]$ exiftool -s -G1 MVI_1082.AVI
[ExifTool]      ExifToolVersion                 : 7.00
[File]          FileName                        : MVI_1082.AVI
... snip ...
[RIFF]          FrameRate                       : 30
[RIFF]          MaxDataRate                     : 2024 kB/s
[RIFF]          FrameCount                      : 1103
[RIFF]          StreamCount                     : 2
[RIFF]          StreamType                      : Audio
[RIFF]          Codec                           :
[RIFF]          Quality                         : 10000
[RIFF]          SampleSize                      : 1 byte
[RIFF]          Encoding                        : Microsoft PCM
[RIFF]          NumChannels                     : 1
[RIFF]          SampleRate                      : 11024
[RIFF]          AvgBytesPerSec                  : 11024
[RIFF]          BitsPerSample                   : 8
[RIFF]          DateTimeOriginal                : 2007:11:23 20:46:30
[RIFF]          Software                        : CanonMVI06
... snip ...

but the gstreamer debug output only shows:

Tags: taglist, video-codec=(string)"Motion\ JPEG";
Tags: taglist, audio-codec=(string)"Uncompressed\ 8-bit\ PCM\ audio";
Tags: taglist, encoder=(string)CanonMVI06;

I would really like to extract the metadata date! (Beware that Exiftool
renames all the tags using its own scheme...)

The source code for my metadata reader is here
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gthumb/trunk/libgthumb/gth-gstreamer-utils.c?view=markup

Any help would be appreciated!

- Mike