[gst-devel] Gstreamer transcoding Flash FLV in 0.10

Florent fthiery at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 02:39:01 CET 2007

Hello,

> I'm trying to convert a script that uses ffmpeg to one using Gstreamer
> for transcoding to Flash (VP6 codec FLV format) from pretty much any
> source format.
> Has anyone done something similar in the past?

I'm working on this very subject for a while, and:
* ffmpeg's FLV encoder uses Sorenson's H.263 codec (Flash 6) and not VP6
* the only way, as far as i know, to encode in VP6 under linux is either:
  ** using On2's Flix engine for Linux
  ** or using mencoder together with vp6vfw.dll, see
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-video-for-windows.html

To encode a GStreamer-originating media to VP6 i am experimenting with
tcpclientsink -> netcat | mencoder, but this is far from being stable
(pretty bad actually). Also, i suggest using debian-multimedia.org's
mencoder release, which fixes Ubuntu's mencoder release bad FLV muxing
behaviour.

I'd be glad to know if any options are left for VP6 encoding on Linux !

Cheers. I hope this helps a bit.

Florent