[gst-devel] How to fit in a GPU accelerated rendering plugin

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Thu Dec 27 20:14:54 CET 2007

Hi Wladimir,

On Fri 14 Dec 2007 11:45, "Wladimir van der Laan" <laanwj at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have created a GPU-accelerated plugin to playback Dirac video
> streams.

Rocking!

> Is there infrastructure in place to pass the output of a plugin as a
> GL texture, for direct rendering? Or some other recommended way to do
> this?

Since no one else mentioned this in this thread IIRC, David Schleef has
been doing things like this, check his weblog:

  http://www.schleef.org/blog/2007/12/25/opengl-in-gstreamer/

Eventually when glimagesink gets updated there will be no need for
gldownload, the texture can be rendered directly.

> I realize I've probably written the first video rendering plugin for
> Linux that is accelerated on graphics hardware, so this might get
> interesting.

There have been GPU-based filters before, and direct-path hardware
decoders, but not decoders on the GPU I don't think. You rock :-)

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/