[gst-devel] Use strings as source?

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Feb 5 20:41:50 CET 2007

Hi,

Christoffer Nyborg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm pretty new to gstreamer developing and haven't really had the time
> I'd want to study it. Here is my question though, is it possible to use
> a cstring as source.

You can use all kind of source if you provide a source element.

> I'm going to pull data from a database and I was
> kind of hoping that it was possible to use the incoming string as
> source.

You wan't to wite your own source, inherit from GstBaseSrc. As properties you
can provide the database connection and the data that it needs to look up the
right record (cursor). When set to playing the source can deliver the data from
the query.

> It's always possible to write a file out of it first but that's
> not really what I want. Anyone have a clue? I'm grateful for all
> suggestions.
>
> Regards
> Christoffer Nyborg

Stefan