[gst-devel] Why exactly we need "queue" element while connecting multiple srcpads ?

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Feb 7 09:22:42 CET 2007

hi,

Quoting Vinayak <vinayak.pane at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> My query is, Why do we need a "queue" element in between when we want to
> push data to multiple srcpads ?
> Without connecting this element I just cant push my data to next peer
> plugin.
> Is there any workaround to avoid using queue ?
No. The queue is not only buffering, it provides a thread boundary and
thus decouples the 1:n element from each uf the downstream chains. If
you don't use the queues, one slow sink could starve the whole
processing.

> When I know the expected data flow & behaviour of all elements I'm
> connecting here, I would like to remove this overhead in between.

The overhead should be relative minimal. The queue will forward the
buffers as soon as it has some and it gets scheduled.

> Thanks,
> --vinayak

Stefan