[gst-devel] [gst-cvs] thomasvs gst-ffmpeg: gst-ffmpeg/ gst-ffmpeg/ext/ffmpeg/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sat Feb 10 16:27:38 CET 2007

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 11:10 +0100, Edward Hervey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   The reason this warning is there is for one specific case:
>    * When we get a ffmpeg codecid that we haven't identified in
> gst-ffmpeg, whether that codec is wrapped or not !
>    * Having unknown codecid is extremely bad, but since we are at the
> register level we cannot emit a error/warning message on the bus
> (there is no element, and therefore bus on which we can send this
> message)
>    * AFAIK, all codecid of the ffmpeg snapshot are identified. The
> only case where you would see this is if you compile gst-ffmpeg with
> an external ffmpeg which we DO NOT support.
>
>   Thomas, if you are seeing this warning this means you are using a
> non-supported gst-ffmpeg. Please revert that commit since it is needed
> to identify non-identified codecids in the *official* gst-ffmpeg.

I understand all of these reasons.  At the end of the line we should
STILL not be outputting all this crap to console by default, ESPECIALLY
if the user has *no idea at all* what to do with these messages.  It
took quite some time myself to look into where the heck these things
were coming from.  How is an end user supposed to be able to tell you ?

Make them WARNING or whatever, but do not have them output on the
console.

Thomas