[gst-devel] gst-bad equalizer element

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 09:53:35 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 09:39 +0100, Stefan Kost wrote:
> This does not look like its doing a db
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel) mapping. If '0' is no action
> (factor 1.0) is a:
> * value of 1 then meaning factor+1=2 aka double volume (+3db) and
> * value of -1 then meaning a fifth of the volume (somewhere around -7db)
> Thats what I assume, but maybe company can clarify. If its like this
> it should be changed. The range is a bit too small imho. E.g. the EQ
> in winamp it goes from -12db to 12 db (in media player it goes from
> -14 to +14 whatever). I'd say -12 to +6 sounds good.

One important questions, is whether the values should be in dB or a
simple factor. Most applications would display a logarithmic scale, but
the 'volume' element uses a factor, and it might be good to be
consistent.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
I have hardly ever known a mathematician who was capable of reasoning.
    -- Plato