[gst-devel] [gst-cvs] thomasvs gst-ffmpeg: gst-ffmpeg/ gst-ffmpeg/ext/ffmpeg/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Feb 14 14:00:55 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 01:48 -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Edward,
>
> On Feb 14, 2007, at 1:32 AM, Edward Hervey wrote:
> >  We all now it's a very bad idea and it took us a LONG time before
> > even allowing it. The conditiong on allowing people building on
> > external ffmpeg was that we would NOT support those versions (we can
> > see the difference since the plugin description is different).
>
> Ah, thanks for explaining. I hope you explained how bad an idea it is
> given ffmpeg's non-api/abi stability and lack of proper versioning,
> in addition to non-api things such as codec behaviour, required
> version-specific workarounds and codec wrapping?

Yep, it was explained to all these distro people, and at the moment
their decision leans towards using a shared ffmpeg for vlc, mplayer,
xine and gstreamer.

AFAIK this is being done in livna (fedora), debian and ubuntu, and
possibly other distros.

I have a hunch they will step back when people start complaining that
none of these versions actually work well, or work well randomly.

Thomas