[gst-devel] [gst-cvs] thomasvs gst-ffmpeg: gst-ffmpeg/ gst-ffmpeg/ext/ffmpeg/

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Feb 14 14:51:48 CET 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Yep, it was explained to all these distro people, and at the moment
> their decision leans towards using a shared ffmpeg for vlc, mplayer,
> xine and gstreamer.
>
> AFAIK this is being done in livna (fedora), debian and ubuntu, and
> possibly other distros.
>
> I have a hunch they will step back when people start complaining that
> none of these versions actually work well, or work well randomly.

Oh well, live and learn. At least you can say you told them and put
on a big grin while you close each of their bug reports.

The thing to keep in mind is that things like "adding h264 support"
or each of those actually requires work in multiple modules, and
often isn't just as easy as adding a codec map in the demuxer and/or
ffmpeg, and sometimes actually requires new code in various places (b/
c it uses a new feature in the demuxer, or b/c it needs a new private
field like the esds atom with special parsing in qtdemux, etc.). So
all this will still require new gst packages (multiple!) for each
newly released ffmpeg version before you can really claim that "we
support h264" or whatever new codec.

Ronald

(PS updating ffmpeg snapshot at this moment does make sense, they
just fixed several crashers with invalid input, several of those in
decoders, see ffmpeg-devel for details.)