[gst-devel] Wavparse to rip apart compressed audio? Newbie Q.

ensonic ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Thu Jan 18 09:03:54 CET 2007

hi,

On 1:02:09 am 18/01/2007 "Edward Averill" <edaverill at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I have some RIFF-format files I need to get the fmt info from.
> The data inside is compressed, but I have an element that will handle
> that...
>
> What I'm wondering is: is there any reason I can't use the data
> output from the wavparse element to feed my decoder?  And is there an
> example of how to get the channels/bit depth/etc. information out of
> the wavparse element, or will I need to write my own wavparse-like
> library that will give me access to that information? I see that I
> can use the gstriff library to help with this, if needed.

wavparse acts as a demuxer. it parses the riff-wav container and emits data
packets. the meta data of the stream is parts of the caps. additional
metadata might be send as tags.

what format is it that you need to decode? if you run 'gst-inspect
wavparse' you see that it already knows about lot of formats (like
audio/ms-gsm, audio/x-mulaw, audio/x-adpcm, ...). If your format is not
among this, we need to add a fourcc mapping.

Is the decoder you want to use already a gstreamer element? Once the output
caps are fine, you should be able to plug it in.

Stefan