[gst-devel] ffmux_mp4 and AAC multiplexing problem

Németh Gergely ngergely at ik.bme.hu
Thu Jan 18 15:51:21 CET 2007

Dear Gstreamer Developers,

I am trying to generate mp4 files with the current CVS version of
gstreamer, however, I have run into a problem with including audio in
the MP4 file. Making the gstreamer chain as simple as possible, here is
the easiest way to reproduce the problem:

gst-launch -v audiotestsrc samplesperbuffer=22050 num_buffers=4 ! \
audio/x-raw-int,rate=22050,channels=1 ! \
queue ! \
faac ! \
ffmux_mp4 ! \
filesink location=rec.audio.mp4

The resulting mp4 file can not be played normally with any player I
tried (vlc, QuickTime,...). The mp4info command from MPEG4IP reports the
following:
mp4info version 1.5
rec.audio.mp4:
Track Type Info
1 audio MPEG-4 AAC main, 16.157 secs, 0 kbps, 22050 Hz

As you can see, this must be incorrect, since we specified 4 seconds for
audiotestsrc. I understand that this is a known bug and has been
previously submitted to Bugzilla as Bug 371939. I still kindly ask all
Gstreamer developers to generate a patch for fixing this issue. Please
contact me if you would consider fixing - I would be willing to offer
some prize for the solution.

Best regards,

Gergely