[gst-devel] Help needed resolving pipeline error.

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Mon Jul 23 16:41:37 CEST 2007

> On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 11:45 -0400, Steven Stromer wrote:
>
>> When executing under Fedora 6:
>>
>> gst-launch filesrc location=\"$M4A_SONG\" ! decodebin ! \ lame
>> preset=1001 quality=0 ! filesink location=\"$MP3_SONG\" ;
>>
>> I am getting the following errors:
>>
>> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>> Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
>> ERROR: from element /pipeline0/filesrc0: Internal data flow error.
>> Additional debug info:
>> gstbasesrc.c(1614): gst_base_src_loop (): /pipeline0/filesrc0:
>> streaming task paused, reason not-linked (-1)
>> ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
>
> Try something like:
>
>  gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=foo.m4a ! decodebin ! audioconvert !
> audioresample ! lame ! filesink location=foo.mp3

Tim, thanks for responding. It is much appreciated. Unfortunately, this
generates the exact same error. I should note that the foo.mp3 file is
created when command is executed, but the file contains no data. I've
just been deleting the empty file before each subsequent test. Also,
I've triple checked my filesrc and filesink paths; they are correct.
I've tried with licensed and unlicensed music; same error.

>> Note that good and ugly are being retrieved from a different repo than
>> all of the other packages. These aren't available from Redhat's Fedora
>> repos. This is probably due to the fact that Redhat doesn't like to
>> touch anything that might be either unstable or potentiallly litigeous.
>> I could see how these errors might be a result of mixing plugin
>> packages, but I'm not sure.
>
> The error means that streaming stopped because some point in the
> pipeline wasn't linked to anything else. In this case, it's probably the
> decoder automatically plugged by decodebin that's not linked to lame,
> probably because lame's input format/caps are not compatible with the
> decoder's output format/caps (gst-launch doesn't give you an error right
> away because decodebin has sometimes pads, so it's possible that a
> compatible pad is created later on).
>

>> One more thing. When using lame in a gstreamer pipe, where would I find
>> docs on the available arguments? The formatting and options seem
>> different in this usage from the standard options described in the lame
>> man file.
>
> gst-inspect-0.10 lame

This is very helpful. Thanks!