[gst-devel] scientific app experiences?

Martin Pokorny mpokorny at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 4 16:36:34 CEST 2007

Hello,

I've been playing with gstreamer recently as a framework for a scientific
application I'm developing. The application functions as a pipeline operating on
live streaming data from a scientific instrument, sorting the data, processing
it, and writing the results to a file. Initial test results are promising; I've
been able to achieve roughly 80% of the performance of my previously developed
application without any real attempts at optimizing the gstreamer-based
application. The potential benefit of the gstreamer-based app would be its
flexibility, extensibility and added functionality (such as the message bus and
events).

Before I proceed with my development much further, I'd like to ask whether
anyone on this mailing list has had any experience using gstreamer in a similar
scientific application. I've tried to find some information on gst-sci, but I
haven't found anything recent, and that causes me to worry that others have
tried going this route only to give it up because gstreamer was unsuitable. Of
course, I'd be interested in hearing about successes as well as failures, so
that I can better understand which sorts of applications might work and which
might not. I can provide more information about my particular application should
that be useful.

--
Martin