[gst-devel] scientific app experiences?

Martin Pokorny mpokorny at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 12 16:24:39 CEST 2007

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your reply; it seems that you have some advice that should
prove quite useful to me.

Michal Benes wrote:
> Martin Pokorny píše v Út 05. 06. 2007 v 14:55 +0000:
>> BTW, "good performance" means being able to process data-carrying
>> UDP packets at a rate sufficient to nearly saturate (> 95%) a 1 gigabit ethernet
>> link.
> Still you might need to optimize the pipeline to keep
> GStreamer overhead low. One of the main concerns are frequent buffer
> allocations/deallocations, this is especialy true for heavily threaded
> applications (> 100 threads). Consider writing custom pad_bufferalloc
> function (recycling used buffers).

Gstreamer overhead, in particular the buffer allocations and
deallocations, are my main concern. I have not reached the point of
writing my own pad_bufferalloc function, but the thought had crossed my
mind. My application certainly will be heavily threaded, so I suppose
I'll need to look at this issue more closely. In the non-gstreamer
version of my application, I have gone to great lengths to minimize
memory allocations and deallocations, as well as to control the number
of threads since I could easily run into scaling problems otherwise.

Thanks again.

--
Martin