[gst-devel] GST_ -> AG_GST changes

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at fluendo.com
Thu Mar 1 11:14:02 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

I did some changes to the build yesterday.  They are fairly
straightforward.  The problem I was solving is the problem that, when
you use say GST_ARG_PROFILING in your configure.ac and you don't have
the .m4 file, it would just give a command not found error during
configure without actually stopping.  Bugs like that are hard to track
down.

There is a way to give you those nice warnings you sometimes see for
other macros, which uses m4_pattern_forbid.  To be able to make that
work, I had to change all the macros to use a different prefix than all
the variables (like GST_CFLAGS and such).

So, GStreamer macros now are prefixed with AG_GST
autoconf will warn you about any such symbols that are not expanded, and
stop.

If you want to use these macros in your module, you should call
AG_GST_INIT at the top (after AC_INIT) so you get these warnings.

Normally this shouldn't affect you if you are just building from HEAD.

The one reason this may affect you is when you are trying to check out
modules from CVS using release tags; CVS handles this badly.  the common
module is tagged with the release tag of whatever module got to that
release number first.  So you're best off fixing that manually by
checking out common with a date stamp.

Let me know if there are any questions or problems,
Thomas