[gst-devel] OS X video source released

Ole André Vadla Ravnås oleavr at gmail.com
Thu May 3 19:13:17 CEST 2007

Hi,

Just released a couple of pre-alpha/proof-of-concept releases of osxvideosrc:

http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~oleavr/osxvideosrc/

The oldest version, 0.0.1.1, uses the Sequence Grabber API, whilst
0.0.2.1 uses the Video Digitizer API directly (the API used by the
Sequence Grabber). I've done some simple testing using gst-launch and
connecting the source directly to osxvideosink, and the performance is
not particularly good (consuming ~100% CPU time). Eventually I tried
using videotestsrc instead, and even that setup consumed ~100% CPU, so
that's when it occurred to me that this might be a problem in
osxvideosink. (d'oh!) I'm sure osxvideosrc has tons of bugs as well
though. :)

The element is, as I said, pretty much alpha, but it should work with
the newer Intel Macs' built-in iSight, as resolution, framerate and
colorspace are currently hard-coded to match that.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to work on this in the time to
come, so I just thought I'd put it out there for now, hoping that
someone will jump in and help making this suck less. :-)

Cheers,
Ole André