[gst-devel] mediatypes for AMR

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue May 8 11:11:14 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 08:50 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> hi,
>
> while updating the media type in PWG I discovered that imho the
> mediatypes for AMR are "unusual".
> 1.) Since when do we use uppercase ?
> 2.) Why is there: "audio/amr","audio/AMR","audio/AMR-WB"

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/audio/

mime types for amr and amr-wb have the second part in upper case.

There are some people that say that we try to stick to mime types when
we can and some people that say we shouldn't interpret them as mime
types.

There are some people that say that GStreamer should be able to figure
out mime types correctly from files.  Maybe gst-typefind does that, and
maybe it gives the GStreamer type, which may or may not be the mime
type.  Confused yet ?

Speaking generically, I would love for GStreamer to be able to detect
the mime type of a stream, and I would love for it to be possible to get
the mime type of a stream so I can put it in an SDP file without special
logic.  The latter currently is possible afaict because all of the caps
names are close enough to mime types for the codecs affected - including
amr.

Thomas