[gst-devel] A plan to write a plugin for Asterisk

Chih-Wei Huang cwhuang at taipei.tecom.com.tw
Thu May 17 10:27:03 CEST 2007

Hi guys,
I am playing GStreamer with Asterisk. That is, try to
convert a video file into Asterisk format by GStreamer, and so on.
I knew there is a plugin asteriskh263 that can convert
a video file into Asterisk H.263 format.
But it is not enough for me. For example, I need H.264 support.

So I am planning to write two plugins of GStreamer, namely

asteriskenc: automatically detect an rtp stream (H.263, H.263p, H.264, ...)
and convert it into Asterisk format.

asteriskdec: convert an Asterisk file back to an rtp stream.
With this plugin, you can convert an Asterisk recording file (videomail)
into a normal video file like .mp4.

Since I am very new to GStreamer, I am just studying the GStreamer
Application Development Manual and GStreamer Plugin Writer's Guide.
I also read the code of asteriskh263.c. It seems not too difficult to
extend its functions to what I want.

Before I start, I would like to ask:

* Is it worth to do so?

* Is there any similar work?