[gst-devel] gst-plugins can't find GStreamer

René Stadler mail at renestadler.de
Mon May 21 18:28:24 CEST 2007

Am Montag, den 21.05.2007, 16:27 +0100 schrieb Nick Chorley:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having problems trying to install gst-plugins from source. I'm
> only using the source code because Slackware Linux doesn't have a
> package for GStreamer. I have successfully installed gstreamer-0.10.12
> and get output from "gst-launch -v fakesrc num_buffers=5 ! fakesink"
> as follows:

<snip>

> I've also compiled Pidgin with GStreamer support (though the sound
> doesn't work, presumably because I don't have gst-plugins, hence why
> I'm trying to install it). While I'm on the subject, do I need any
> other GStreamer modules to have sound support in Pidgin?
>
> Anyway, the main problem is that gst-plugins-0.8.12 doesn't find
> GStreamer. I have not changed my PKG_CONFIG_PATH, because it already
> has /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig in it:
>
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/kde/lib/pkgconfig
>
> How do I get this to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick Chorley

Note the different minor version number -- gst-plugins was discontinued
after 0.8 and split into multiple modules for 0.10: gst-plugins-base,
gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-ugly and gst-plugins-bad.  This page
explains it in full:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/splitup.html

You should get the -base and -good plugins at least.

--
Regards,
  René Stadler