[gst-devel] windows based live editing software

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun Nov 18 13:01:31 CET 2007

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 12:46:38PM +0100, Edward Hervey wrote:

> > Computer 5 scales and encodes the content in windows media for the internet
> > and mpeg2 for broadcast.
>
>   That last computer will need to be VERY fast.

Not necessarily.

You could use a 70 EURO WinTV Hauppage MPEG2 hardware encoder (for
example), which works fine and natively under GNU/Linux 2.6.22 and
higher. I don't remember the name of the module at the moment.

However when using it outside of GStreamer while using GStreamer on
different analog frame grabbers at the same time in the same machine
proved to generate some problems. I didn't have the time to investigate
further. Such an hardware card can generate MPEG2 in realtime without
any load on the CPU. I haven't tested grabbing datas from its YUV
device through GStreamer, but it probably works with the appropriate
caps since it will be seen just as a regular file, just like for its MPEG2
device stream.

I can't speak about the windows media, however, although I wouldn't
recommend it if you want to reach the largest audience.

bye

Jerome Alet