[gst-devel] Convert .mkv containers into .mp4 containers playable on a PS3 using gst-launch

Andreas Tunek andreas.tunek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 19:17:11 CET 2007

Hi Gstreamers

I am sorry if this is the wrong list for this question, if so, please
direct me to the correct list.

I have a PS3 sitting next to my beautiful plasma TV. I use the PS3
browser to download mpeg2 movies from my own server at home and view
them using the PS3, but unfortunately most media I want to watch is
not in mpeg2 format.

The PS3 is supposed to be able to play h264 video and aac audio and is
also supposed to be able to use the .mp4 container.

Most of the media I would want to watch are .mkv files with h264
encoded video and aac audio and I was wondering if anyone has any luck
to remux the .mkv to a .mp4 using gst-launch? When I asked this on
#gstreamer on freenode some helpful person (sorry, I forgot your
name...) gave me this pipeline:

 gst-launch filesrc location=heroes.s02e07.720p.hdtv.x264-nbs.mkv !
matroskademux name=d  ffmux_mp4 name=m ! filesink
location=heroes.s2.7.mp4 m.video00 ! queue ! video00 audio00 ! queue !
d.audio00

However, when I run the above pipeline it complains that there is no
video00-element.

I am running Fedora 7 with freshrpms, but I can try it on F8 with Livna as well.

Have anyone successfully remuxed files and played them on a PS3 using
gst-launch? If so, could you please post the gst-launch pipeline you
are using?

Are there any other tools I should use, maybe there is something
convenient I have missed?

Best regards

tuna