[gst-devel] Overwriting files in sinks

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Tue Oct 2 09:48:31 CEST 2007

Am Montag, den 01.10.2007, 22:29 +0300 schrieb Stefan Kost:
> Hi,
>
> Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 29.09.2007, 13:38 +0300 schrieb Stefan Kost:
> >> shouldn't this be done as a GInterface? Then an application can reliably detect
> >> that it supports it.
> >
> > How would this interface look like? Can interfaces contain signals?
> >
> Yes, they can.
> GstFilesystemSinkIface could be a interface name - dunno what else could fit in
> there.

Ok, good to know... might be a good solution then :)

> >> Also, emitting a signal is a bit evil, even if it's usually not going to
> >> be emitted from a streaming thread in this case, since applications will
> >> probably show a confirmation dialog from the signal callback and run a
> >> main loop via gtk_dialog_run() or similar, which means there's at least
> >> the potential for all kind of reentrancy issues that an application
> >> developer is unlikely to expect.  Not sure what a better solution would
> >> be though.
> >
> > Right, but other options do we have? A GstMessage would be nice but we
> > need to get feedback from the application somehow...
>
> A method in the iface for the reply would be nasty :(
>
> Maybe the application should check itself before if the file exists or not?

...and then we add a property "overwrite" so the application can say
that the file should be overwritten nonetheless? Would be another
solution but slightly more complicated for the application.

I guess there's nothing to emit a signal into the thread where the
callbacks were registered? Then the app-check&property solution might be
the best...