[gst-devel] neutral buffer handling in sparse streams

Steve Fink sphink at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:36:54 CEST 2007

On 10/1/07, Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> wrote:
> So what the way to go?
>
> 1) use GST_BUFFER_FLAG_GAP and define it as such
> btw. its right now only used in gst-plugins-base/gst/audiorate/gstaudiorate.c to
> mark a silent filler-buffer
>
> 2) add GST_BUFFER_FLAG_NEUTRAL
>
> 3) segments
>
> 4) anything else?

Perfect! I was about to experiment with adding a
GST_BUFFER_FLAG_SILENCE for my stuff, so I'm happy to find out that
such a flag already exists. I'll implement handling for it in
gstadder.c.

I don't know if this is kosher, but the other alternative I was
considering was a zero-byte buffer with a nonzero duration. I don't
know how that would get handled, though; it probably messes up bit
rates.

After reading the docs for GST_BUFFER_FLAG_GAP, though, it seems like
it's already exactly what you want. How would your proposed definition
be different from the one it already has?