[gst-devel] neutral buffer handling in sparse streams

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Oct 2 21:28:59 CEST 2007

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 10:33:35PM +0300, Stefan Kost wrote:
> So what the way to go?
>
> 1) use GST_BUFFER_FLAG_GAP and define it as such
> btw. its right now only used in gst-plugins-base/gst/audiorate/gstaudiorate.c to
> mark a silent filler-buffer
>
> 2) add GST_BUFFER_FLAG_NEUTRAL
>
> 3) segments
>
> 4) anything else?

5) Push subbuffers of a well-known read-only buffer containing only
zeros.  (Let's call it gst_buffer_zero.)

I'm not recommending it, just suggesting it as an alternative that we've
discussed in the past.  It has the minor advantage of being transparent
to elements that don't know how to handle it.

dave...