[gst-devel] Overwriting files in sinks

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Oct 3 21:37:09 CEST 2007

Hi René,

René Stadler wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 03.10.2007, 08:05 +0200 schrieb Stefan Kost:
>> hi,
>>
>> Quoting Sebastian Dröge <slomo at circular-chaos.org>:

>>> Ok, good to know... might be a good solution then :)
>> One more idea for the interface. It could help to identify the
>> property that has the uir/location. Ideally its a interface property
>> called "location". But that means elements like playbin will have the
>> uri property as legacy (unfortunately there is not G_PARAM_DEPRECATED
>> flag, to mark it as such).
>>
>> It would also be nice to see if it is a local file-path or a uri.
>> Regariding this I just wrote an email to gtk-app-devel to see if
>> someone already implemented GParamSpecs for a file-path or uri. That
>> would then also be enough to tell them apart fromr egular strings.
>> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2007-October/msg00022.html
>>
>> Why I need that info? Beause I generate UI for gstreamer elements.
> <snip>
>
> For generating a consistent UI, just provide a way to set the URI
> through the URIHandler interface.  There's no need to use a property for
> that, let alone use heuristics or a new data type to find out which one
> of the properties corresponds to the very same purpose that the
> interface implementation does.

The UI generation code walks over the properties and generates widgets for them.
The URIHanlerInterface could have been usefull, if it would have used an
interface property instead of two interface methods (get_uri/set_uri).
How should the urihandler-iface help me to identify which property I can hide.

> The only reason URIHandler elements have redundant location/uri
> properties anyways is that gst-launch doesn't let you use the interface.

I think, it becaume someone did not know of interface-properties.

Stefan