[gst-devel] Windows PlayBin Required Plugins?

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 10:08:54 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 20:52 -1000, michelle Wagner wrote:

> I'm using a playbin in windows.  It complains it doesn't have the
> required codec to play movies.
> I'm attempting to play an avi file.  Does any one know what codec I
> need, that will work with playbin?

AVI is a container format that can contain a number of different
formats, it's hard to say what exactly you need to play the file you
have.  Current versions of playbin should tell you exactly what kind of
decoder you are missing in the error message (if not, or you're only
missing some decoders but not all, run gst-launch with the -m option and
look for missing-plugin messages).

Make sure you have gst-ffmpeg, the 'faad' plugin from gst-plugins-bad
and the 'mad' plugin from gst-plugins-ugly installed.  This should take
care of the most common AVI files.

 Cheers
  -Tim