[gst-devel] Text representation of a pipeline

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Fri Sep 14 13:08:51 CEST 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 05:51:34PM -0400, Daniel Lenski wrote:

> I just wrote a python routine to do this, which could be
> straightforwardly translated to C if you like.  It prints out a GST
> element (recursively if it's a bin or pipeline), describing each
> element's pads and what they link to, and the negotiated or possible
> capabilities of those pads.  The output looks something like this:

Particlaly based on your work I've written gst2dot.py available at :

        http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome/gst2dot/

This Python program converts GStreamer pipelines into Graphviz dot
files, suitable to create a graphical representation of any running
pipeline.

The dot and pdf example you'll find above was automatically
generated from a running Boxtream (http://boxtream.unice.fr)
scenario. But gst2dot.py itself contains a much simpler pipeline
example.

Any comment is more than welcome.

bye

Jerome Alet