[gst-devel] guidelines for creating new type/flow

Pete Nam devpersoaccount at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 12:56:25 CEST 2007

Hi,
I'm using gstreamer to display information overlayed on a video (mainly text). I'll use existing plugins for the overlay, but I need to create my own flow type getting out of a home-made plugin. This plugin would take the video on sink pad, analyze it, and send information (per frame) on the source pad. There is very limited information in the gstreamer main and plugin guides about this.
My concerns are:
-what kind of plugin should I create (I currently start from the skeleton plugin generated from plugin tools, and specify my own caps for sink/source pads)
-how do I create a new type
-what are the main things to implement this new stream. As it is, I have to create a buffer, specify its duration, timestamp, size, what else? How to relate to caps properties?

I would appreciate some guidelines and/or examples,
Thx,
Pete