[gst-devel] plugin for totem ?

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Thu Sep 27 15:38:53 CEST 2007

Hi Mehdi,
Totem relies on the playbin/decodebin elements for its playback. These
elements rely on the elements 'Rank' value to decide which element to
use for something. So if you have written a mp3 decoder for instance you
have to make sure it have a higher rank than any other mp3 decoder you
might have installed. playbin/decodebin also only use elements which
have a rank of marginal or better.

If the functionality of the plugin is unique, meaning there are no other
plugins offering the functionality, like supporting a new codec for
instance, then as long as the rank is marginal or better it should be
automatically used as long as they are of the types Demux, Decoder,
Parse or Depayloader

Christian