[gst-devel] Gtype registration error

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:01:26 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:02 +0200, Mattias Barthel wrote:

> I am trying to get two of the same pipeline running in two separate
> threads (pthreads) in the same process.
> I seem to have bumped into a kind of race condition.

> This is what I get from the prompt:
>
> (testlib:20311): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type
> `GstClock'
> (testlib:20311): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gtype.c:3340: type id `0' is
> invalid
>  (snip)
>
> I think this is because the two threads try too create their pipeline at
> the same time and Glibs hashtable of types does not reflect upon this.
> Or maybe there should be a mutex in the gstreamer level?

It's a bug in GLib. This is fixed in GLib-2.16 as far as I know.

We do try to work around this in GStreamer though, so if you run into
issues like this, please file a bug in bugzilla so we can fix it.

I've recently fixed a few of these problems in core and -base CVS, so
you might want to upgrade.

Cheers
 -Tim