[gst-devel] Gstreamer HD Supported Codecs

Christopher James Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 05:57:37 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 16:57 +0000, Ash wrote:
> Is there a way to find out all HD formats supported by gstreamer
> plugins? Such as WMV-HD or h264-Hd. 720p and 1080p? I've been trying
> to search but can't find anything useful. For example the wmv plugin
> from ffmpeg-gstreamer supports 1080 content but theres no way of
> knowing as far as i know until you try to play a 1080 file.

Codecs rarely care about the size of their input (except for often
requiring the input sizes to be multiples of two).  If ffmpeg can decode
320x240 wmv, it can decode 2048x2048 wmv, too.

The decoder might not be fast enough to decode 1080p content in
real-time, but that's a limitation of the system you are using it on,
not the decoder itself.  It's also difficult to work out without trying
to decode; some streams using identical codecs are more CPU intensive
than others.