[gst-devel] MediaServices GSoC project discussion

Roberto Fagá robertofaga at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 19:32:41 CEST 2008

Hallo everyone,

I'm trying like Antoine's suggestion to do EncodingProfiles generic,
to use any possible element available. First, thanks Tim and Stefan,
I'll probably need to use some preset form, as I'm having some
problems with my actual way of implementing it. I'm writing above my
current problems of using generic elements, like in [1], so everyone
plz answer:

How can I be sure that a found element is right? For an example we
have audioconvert element and can have some other filter that converts
some audio format to another. So, should I check in for
Filter/Converter/Audio klass? If so, how can I presume that the only
case (at least is what I found for now) is the id3v2mux and id3mux
which do the same thing and have different klasses and different Sinks
(id3v2mux has ANY x id3mux has audio/mpeg layer=3)?

Also, how can I search for an alternative element for xingmux, as an
example, if it has the same input and output and nothing more?

Connections - if I code the connections in XML, how can I be sure that
alternative elements will act exactly as what I tested?

I'm not sure if I can let the application so open to find new
elements, I'm afraid to have some situation where I find an element,
for an example, and it doesn't do what I expect and the conversion
never happen. I'm thinking in try different pipelines with the
different elements found, but even in this case and even wasting so
much cpu, I can't be sure if the output format will be exactly as user
expects - in the constructed pipeline I can trow a effect element for
an example which changes the audio/video.

Thx
Roberto

[1] - http://code.google.com/p/gst-media-services/source/browse/trunk/profiles/testing_profiles.xml?r=15